RFI

[RFI] 6m spur

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 6m spur
From: "Gary Peterson" <kzerocx@rap.midco.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 10:18:53 -0700
“I also bought one of those nice looking FM transmitters, wanted to
forward stuff to my 12 acres while tractor mowing.”

This is just a heads up to anyone thinking about running an unlicensed
transmitter on the FM broadcast band.

As I recall, FCC part 15 limits are exceeded if more than 12 nanowatts are fed
to a resonant dipole.

Because a huge FM piracy problem existed in many metropolitan areas, Congress
passed a bill that allows the FCC to levy notices of apparent liability in the
amounts of several hundreds of thousands of dollars  I don’t recall what the
maximum fine could be, but it could be as much as a million dollars.  Many of
these illegal transmitters are not spectrally clean and spurs could end up
interfering with facilities within the purview of the FAA.  This could result
in being quickly located.

I would hate to see anyone on this list get caught up in the FCC’s net.

Gary
KzeroCX