RFI

Re: [RFI] Whirlpool Washer noise

To: Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Whirlpool Washer noise
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 13:50:32 -0400
Hi Mike,

Your washing machine generating RFI does not surprise me at all, and a
likely source of that RFI is from the variable speed drive system your
washer likely has (or whatever SMPS they are using to power the smarts on
that washer).  Typical approach would be to first try a K9YC based choke on
the power cord made using an FT240-31 toroid core with 10 to 14 turns
through the core if the problem is down on the lower bands like 160 meters,
and you can get away with fewer turns as you go higher in frequency.  If
that does not totally eliminate the RFI (which would not surprise me), then
I suggest you also add a commercial power line filter like a Corcom or
Delta Electronics Filter in series with the choke.  I've had to resort to
this combination of filters on numerous consumer products like a treadmill
and a refrigerator.

73,
Don (wd8dsb)