RFI

[RFI] Travel trailer converter RFI - solved

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Travel trailer converter RFI - solved
From: nm8rmedic via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2022 16:40:58 -0400
Following David's example, I'll post a reply as to how I solved the power
converter RFI matter in my travel trailer.Everyone on this list who helped me
gets credit for the win.After being rightly admonished on the list by member, I
placed a common mode choke on a 4 inch mix 31 core on the inverter DC output
leads.10 turns showed to be the optimal winding per my VNA, with about -20 dB
(S21) of common mode reduction. Real life testing verified that it had cured 40
m nicely, leaving a small remnant on 20 that was nearly completely removed by a
capacitor across the DC line. Someone is sure to ask - the choke in CM caused
no convertor buzz as it did when on only the positive lead. And 6 ga. copper is
expensive.Just closing the loop to thank everyone and for the benefit of any
who search this topic in the future.ScottNM8RSent from my Verizon, Samsung
Galaxy smartphone