RFI

Re: [RFI] Another Solar Panel RFI System

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Another Solar Panel RFI System
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 14:12:31 -0800
On 12/23/2022 1:34 PM, Hare, Ed, W1RFI wrote:
would probably require 30 to 40 dB lower emissions. This would add very real costs and, with additional shielding needed, add weight to most electronic devices.

For many (most?) products, shielding is NOT required. FAR more significant are circuit design issues, like proper termination of cable shields and the power system "green wire," wave-shaping of power-control products (SMPS, variable speed motor controllers, etc.), PCB layout and construction. I strongly suspect that emissions from

Well-laid out multi-layer boards provide significant self-shielding; the key is that the "ground" layers MUST be continuous. If unbroken, they form a transmission line with each trace, confining fields to a narrow region around the trace. If broken, the trace becomes a single conductor, combining with whatever return circuit is available to act as an antenna for whatever current it carries.

Shielding between windings CAN be an issue for components like signal coupling transformers, like those coupling to pairs in Ethernet cables and other data networks, including DSL. And I strongly suspect that improper termination of cable shields (the Pin One Problem) is the primary mechanism for leakage from CATV systems. And poorly terminated F-connectors have a major cause of leakage since the earliest days of those systems.

By waveshaping, I'm talking about what Elecraft has done with their keying envelope to optimize readability while minimizing harmonic content.

None of which changes my assessment of the likelihood of FCC Regs changing for the better. :)

73, Jim K9YC