RFI

Re: [RFI] Powerline noise question

To: Steve Muenich <srmuenich@gmail.com>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Powerline noise question
From: nm8rmedic via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 21:46:15 -0500
Date: 12/30/22  16:25  (GMT-05:00) To: rfi@contesting.com Subject: Re: [RFI]
Powerline noise question Guys,This has been a very enlightening discussion.
And has given me ideas ontracking down my local RFI issue.I have a IC-9700 and
have been using a 3 element VHF measuring tape yagi tolocate the power line
noise source.  Adding in attenuation using AMdetector as I get closer to the
source.A question I have is:Is there anywhere on the web or perhaps at ARRL
where similar signatures ofvarious types of noise sources are able to be
viewed.I haven’t yet looked so this may be redundant but to be able to see
aswitch mode supply vs a grow light on a waterfall or whatever might helpnarrow
down the search.I have a local source that seems to be on a timer and the
waterfall shows asquiggly pattern.Just a thought.Thanks again for all this
excellent discussion73Steve NA5COn Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 2:59 PM Steve Muenich
<srmuenich@gmail.com> wrote:> Guys,> This has been a very enlightening
discussion.  And has given me ideas on> tracking down my local RFI issue.> I
have a IC-9700 and have been using a 3 element VHF measuring tape yagi> to
local.  Adding in attenuation using AM as get closer to the source.>> A
question I have is:> Is there any where a location on the web or perhaps at
ARRL when similar> signatures of various types of noise sources are able to be
viewed.> I haven’t yet looked so this may be redundant but to be able to see a>
switch mode supply vs a grow light on a waterfall or whatever might help>
narrow down the search.>> I have a local source that seems to be on a timer and
the waterfall shows> a squiggly pattern.>> Just a thought.>> Thanks again for
all this excellent discussion>> 73> Steve NA5C>>> Sent from my mobile device>>
> On Dec 30, 2022, at 2:10 PM, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>> wrote:>
>> > On 12/30/2022 9:58 AM, Hare, Ed, W1RFI wrote:> >> The SDR waterfall will
not be very helpful with power-line noise, but> they are great at identifying
switching power supply noises and noises that> pulse on and off in a regular
pattern.> >> Most of the time, though, we are less concerned with "what is it"
as we> are with "where is it?"> >> > The principle virtues of the waterfall are
recognizing whether it's> impulse noise or electronic noise; multiple
electronic sources and their> active hours so that 1) we know when to chase
them and 2) when multiple> sources are present, help us chase each
individually.> >> > 73, Jim K9YC> >