RFI

Re: [RFI] Powerline noise question

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Powerline noise question
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 12:09:54 -0800
On 12/30/2022 9:58 AM, Hare, Ed, W1RFI wrote:
The SDR waterfall will not be very helpful with power-line noise, but they are
great at identifying switching power supply noises and noises that pulse on and
off in a regular pattern.

Most of the time, though, we are less concerned with "what is it" as we are with
"where is it?"

The principle virtues of the waterfall are recognizing whether it's impulse noise or electronic noise; multiple electronic sources and their active hours so that 1) we know when to chase them and 2) when multiple sources are present, help us chase each individually.

73, Jim K9YC