RFI

[RFI] Powerline noise question

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Powerline noise question
From: Richard Karlquist <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 19:15:32 -0800
I have a powerline noise coming from about 2 miles away, which is
nevertheless quite strong at my QTH.

Here are the symptoms:

1.  A 120 Hz noise burst at regular intervals, about 0.9 seconds apart.

2.  The noise goes away after a rain; then comes back after things dry
out.

3.  Can be heard from 500 kHz up to a few MHz.

4.  The noise is very strong along a road for a few miles.  There is a

power line that follows the road.  I haven't been able to localize it
better than

that so far.  From my QTH, though, it is definitely coming in at a
specific azimuth

which is consistent with the noisy road a few miles away.  (Using a loop
antenna

for DF'ing).

Any help appreciated.

--