RFI

Re: [RFI] Powerline noise question

To: Frank W3LPL <donovanf@starpower.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Powerline noise question
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 11:55:29 -0500
Hi Richard,

I never stop thinking, and you originally said you were encountering 120 Hz
noise bursts but I don't know how you determined it had 120 Hz component.
As Frank mentioned the approximate 1 Hz repetition which goes away when it
rains is what one might expect with an electric fence but I would not
expect a typical repetitive electric fence discharge system (one that
discharges every second) to have a specific 120 hertz component as the
"transmitter" normally is just a capacitor charged to a very high DC
voltage which is then momentarily connected to a pulse transformer primary
to discharge the capacitor which greatly steps up the voltage to thousands
of volts (but with limited energy) so there is no specific relationship
with 120 Hz.  There is likely a huge amount of harmonics generated unless
the pulse is intentionally shaped which I believe some companies are now
trying to do in order to try and limit the harmonic content.  The high
voltage generation concept is similar to how a conventional Xenon tube
flash circuit works in photography.  Can you upload a recording of your
noise burst so we have a better idea of what you are hearing/seeing?  But
as others have said I never try and guess what the source is other than to
try and determine if it is power line related noise because if it's not
power line noise then I might not pack my vehicle with as much VHF and UHF
DF gear.

Don (wd8dsb)