RFI

Re: [RFI] Yagis and DFing_Being as we are on the subject

To: "RFI Mail list at contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Yagis and DFing_Being as we are on the subject
From: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 07:33:16 -0600
Being as we are on the subject :-) You guys have skillfully helped me in the past locate some awful nearby 120hz sources and I appreciate it.

I have been casually tracking a 120hz source since the summer. Casually because it is distant (other side of the neighborhood ~ 1800' away) and I can mitigate it with noise blankers etc ~90% of the time. I located it to within 3 power poles. All 3 have bell end insulators and a couple of the spans are slack. Its likely old hardware probably 60's (I have good reason to believe this). Single phase 7.2kv (only other on the poles is cable/phone). Houses all around.

I did match the pattern by re-transmitting the station audio. But cannot determine, with HT/Yagi's, which pole for sure its coming from as its well conducted throughout all 3.  And it maybe more than 1 of them. Up close I can hear it on 440mhz on all 3 poles. Not enough real estate without trespassing to back far enough off to get out from under the lines to triangulate which pole better (if it is a single pole or not 2 or 3).

I did request they replace the insulators on all 3 poles (and tighten the spans) as they are about the only hardware on all 3 poles on the 7.2kv. That was back in the summer. Have not heard back from them (and they have not done last time I was by there) and I have not pressed it admittedly.

Should I press them to do all 3 or try to isolate to a single pole or 2? Even using attenuator's I doubt I will be able to determine with certainty which pole as all 3 had a close signal strength. I have not tried the flag antenna. I could try that and attenuators to isolate before I contact them again. Or setup something higher in frequency. Unfortunately could not hear anything with ultrasonic. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Chuck
W4NBO

FT60 on AM mode

FT817

2 meter handheld yagi

440 handheld yagi

QST homebrew ultrasonic dish (has worked well on other sources)