RFI

Re: [RFI] Yagis and DFing_Being as we are on the subject

To: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Yagis and DFing_Being as we are on the subject
From: Michael Martin <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 08:43:46 -0500
Charles, dfing your noise source at 440 MHz should be an easy one. The
obstacles you have as you know are the wires above you radiating the noise
and affecting the directional ability of your yagi.
If I were you I would opt for walking around all three or four poles. If
you're doing that with an antenna people will be inquisitive but it's rare
that they would tell you your trespassing. Explain to them that you're
looking for something arcing on the pole that could create a fire and power
outages. That's not necessarily the case but it certainly is a possibility.
I would be very surprised to find your problem slack insulators because of
the strength of the noise. Using attenuation at 440 should be extremely
effective. Remember when using ultrasound direct line of sight to the
sources important and the height of the pole could mean attenuation for
you. The Homebrew ultrasound devices don't have an overwhelmingly level of
gain so it's important to get around the pole and as close as possible and
then work your way out. During the triangulation process it's very
important to be away from the pole and A good rule of thumb is about half
the distance between the poles as a distance that you maintain from the
pole One Direction finding. Another thing you'll want to do is point your
440 yagi at the top of a pole that's reading the noise and find the
frequency that gives you the most gain. You may be amazed at how much more
gain you get out of that antenna when you find the exact frequency that
that antenna works best. rotate your antenna from horizontal to diagonal in
your signal level should be strongest when you're antenna is in the
diagonal position. If it is not you are not at the right pole.
Today is my family Christmas get together so I got to run. Best wishes to
you.

Michael Martin
RFI Services
51 W Bay Front Rd