[TenTec] Re: grounding, station plug in protection

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: grounding, station plug in protection
From: gctotten@juno.com (Gerald C Totten)
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 13:25:48 -0500

  I repaired radios for extra income for several years.  And every spring
and summer I would replace the front end transistors of several FT-101s.
Some times I would do the same radio twice in one season.  I finally came
up with a system to protect any radio.  Disconnect all leads.  Hand carry
the radio to the bedroom.  Slide under bed.  If lightning can find it
there, it can have the darn thing.
  I once repaired a very expensive non TEN-TEC rig that had been
disconnected from everything in the shack, except the keyer, during a
summer storm.  The power to the keyer was disconnected but the keyer was
sitting on a metal cabinet with the phone.  The foil on the circuit board
near the key jack had turned to vapor.  So had most of the phone wire.

73
Jerry K8JRO