TopBand: power line noise

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: power line noise
From: Joe Subich" <subich@ibm.net (Joe Subich)
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 96 12:22:25 -0400
In <199609221451.JAA02639@zoom.bga.com>, on 09/22/96
   at 09:51 AM, k5na@bga.com (Richard L. King) said:

>Yes, I have been through this before. Send the co-op a letter with the
>information in it with a request that they fix the problem. If you
>don't hear from them in a week, follow-up with a phone call to them. If
>you get the same answers (Can't do it, maybe some day, etc), you write
>the FCC, copying the co-op. In this letter you ask the FCC's help in
>getting the problem resolved. Send along a copy of your previous letter
>to the co-op and all the follow-up information you received from the
>co-op.

Unfortunately, since their charter in the Rural Electrification Act, the
co-ops are exempt from regulation by the FCC and state Public Utility
Commissions.  About the only leverage one has is as a "stock holder"
(each subscriber of a co-op is a stock holder).  One needs to find the
person who is concerned with efficiency and point out to them that noise
sources like this represent a LOSS to the co-op.

I've been through the drill, both on topband and professionally, and the
only way to get results is to find that personal contact.  Once the
relationship is established, the key guy is usually quite happy to be
told "the problem is on 'pole xxxx at _______'."  After all, you're
doing him a favor.

   ... Joe Subich, AD8I
       <AD8I@ibm.net>