TopBand: 160M Beacon Proposal

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160M Beacon Proposal
From: jherman@hawaii.edu (Jeffrey Herman)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 08:24:56 -1000
I've been considering this for years, and tried to get some folks
on the BoatAnchors list to join me in this effort, but no one showed
any interest. (My proposal was to assemble 12 beacons, each given a
5 second slot to just xmit their call, so that the cycle would repeat
once each minute; a clock motor would act as the very cheap beacon
controller.)

I had contacted the FCC regarding operating a beacon system on 160m
and their response was that beacons below 10m cannot be placed on
automatic operation; i.e., they have to be attended. Now that's
not much of a problem since I would assume that a beacon would
only be operated during from local sundown to sunup (which is when
we're at home anyway). (Apparently the NCDXF was able to get permission
to bypass this rule for their 14.1 Mc system.)

I've felt that the upper band edge of 160 would be the least offensive
freq'y to place a beacon (recall a couple weeks ago I asked the TopBand
list what activity occured globally around 1998 kc).

If anyone is serious about setting up such a system, I'll certainly
volunteer to be the Hawaii/Central Pacific site.

Jeff KH2PZ / KH6