Re[2]: TopBand: SSB on TOPBAND

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re[2]: TopBand: SSB on TOPBAND
From: George.Guerin@kellogg.com (George Guerin)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:08:00 -0500
--IMA.Boundary.130870848

At 06:46 96-11-15 -0600, Craig Clark wrote:

>I have looked and can't find my official copy of the ARRL band plan.
>Off the top of my head however, they allocated the band:
>
>1800-1830 cw local rag chews etc
>1830-1850 cw DX/use
>1850 and up SSB
>
>I will not get into the other dynamics of this. My position on this
>band plan is fairly well known.
>
>73 Craig

Mine added:
>>The "Considerate Operator's Frequency Guide," QST page 104
 for Jan 96 lists the following:
>>1.800-1.830  CW, data and other narrowband modes
           1.810  QRP CW calling frequency
>>1.830-1.840  CW, data and other narrowband modes,
                     intercontinental QSOs only
>>1.840-1.850  CW; SSB, SSTV and other wideband modes,
                     intercontinental QSOs only
>>1.850-2.000  CW; phone, SSTV and other wideband modes
           1.910  QRP SSB calling frequency

>>I once commented on 1.910kHz SSB calling frequency on
>>this reflector in disgust.
>>de Mine JA2NQG AH0F KC6CW VK9LS V63WW etc

     Part of the problem is the ARRL.  Unless the QRP calling frequency is
     moved up to around 1920, there will always be people thinking they are
     properly using low power SSB on/near 1910.  The only good thing about
     the JA window was the FW DXpedition listening 1909-1911 for US/VE DX
     which clued in some of the SSBers to the DX activity around those
     frequencies before local sunrise.

     Years ago someone else actually published a data communications
     recommendation for 1825-1830.  Amtor on 1827 didn't thrill the midwest
     DXers.  Fortunately, one of the Chicagoland DXers had Amtor capability
     and was able to explain the error in the guideline to the two or three
     hams and the problem went away.  We were all lucky the guideline was
     not repeated, and the digital hams were able to move up or down.

     One other thought:  Don't bother the morning SSB around 1819.  Those
     fellows have been there for years and have relocated voluntarily after
     a very heated winter a year or two ago.  Having them on 1824 was bad
     enough.  When the JA's started sending QSX 1824 instead of QSX 1808 or
     1810, there were some very heated moments and plenty of SSB ragchew
     activity between 1820 and 1830 during morning sunrise DX openings!

     In summary, everyone can work around the problems, if we will just
     think ahead and tune the band before we jump in somewhere.

     Now, if the band would only open up next weekend, we might get a
     couple of new ones.

     73  all,   George  K8GG
--IMA.Boundary.130870848--