TopBand: TS850s & Receiving Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: TS850s & Receiving Antenna
From: Dick_Wilborg/US/3Com%3COM@smtp1.isd.3com.com (Dick Wilborg/US/3Com)
Date: 18 Nov 96 9:45:06 EDT
Previously sent Jim, K5TC : Hope this helps.......73s, Dick, W1FJH

Hello Jim,   Yes, I have been using a separate rx antenna port on my TS 850
that I  created a few days after
brought the radio home.
1: I removed the small bank of 3 RCA ports on the left rear backpanel, &
carefully tucked them down out of the way. ( so to be able to reinstall if
future needs dictate.)
2: Installed two female BNC connectors in two of the previous holes.
3: Wired new coax runs from these connectors, that break into the original coax
jumper that runs from the internal TR relay to the RX input of the RX board.
ie: I used the original coax jumper from the TR rely to the RX input & ran that
from the RX input to BNC conn #1.
Then I purchased from Kenwood, an additional (12", I believe) pre-connectorized
cable , that I then ran from the TR relay, (rx side) to BNC connector #2.
These  pre-connectorized cable jumpers are available from Kenwood parts and are
listed on their web page under service bulletins. (dont recall the number)
This makes plug & play onto their boards most easy!
4: Then, a short 50 ohm BNC jumper cable is all that is needed between the two
rear panel BNC ports for normal transceive operation. (ie, field days, etc.)
5: I then built a small low power BNC relay (purchased at a flee market) into a
minibox that is externally power & switched on & off manually. (Dowkey relay
totally unnecessary here)
The beverage connects to one port of the relay, the TR relay output the TS-850
to the other port, & the common
output of the relay to the new RX BNC rear panel input.

The only down side of this method is that it requires an external mounted
switch of some sort to activate the
relay.
The install looks clean & neat. You will need your TS-850 schematic to find
your way around but this whole mod simply requires a little "ham" creativity.

Best regards,    Dick,, W1FJH, Mason, NH