TopBand: Hill vs. Ocean QTH (long)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Hill vs. Ocean QTH (long)
From: goforit@worldnet.att.net (Doug)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:25:29 -0800
VE3BMV WROTE <<We know that on VHF the hill is the answer...>>

Is this an assumption?   I would take issue with it. It certainly
contradicts my experience of 38 years. I have been a VHF and HF contester
and DXer for over 35 years.  VHF has always come first, and I have been
top 10 many times and first in NA on one occasion in an ARRL Vhf contest.
I have operated from hilltops and mountaintops many, many times.  As
W2CRS, I operated from my house on the the highest hill in Schenectady
County, NY, for several years.
I presently operate from a hill top at 9000' elevation in Teller County
Colorado.
My best ever VHF location was from 10' above high tide in Biddeford Pool
Maine where I operated VHF from 1957 until 1974.
Yes, hilltops and mountaintops are a little better under "flat"
conditions than oceanside, but on VHF, the oceanside location gets far
more and stronger tropo and ducting than inland hilltops and mountains.
>From my experience, an island or peninsula with no obstructions to the
horizon is best on HF and VHF.
Doug  W0AH   ex-W2CRS