TopBand: 160/80 shunt fed tower?

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160/80 shunt fed tower?
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 02:44:04 -0500 (EST)
Hi Jim...My first shunt-fed tower was similar to yours (in Connecticut,
1978). It was 70 feet of Rohn 25 with a 204BA on top and a 4-el 15m Wilson
yagi a few feet above that. As I recall the 160m shunt was up about 40 feet,
out about 16-18 inches, maybe more.

I know the 80m shunt was a lot shorter; only about 15 or 20 feet up perhaps,
and out maybe 12 or 18 inches.

Had about sixty 1/4 wave (for 160m) radials (copper-clad steel electric
fence wire, laid on the ground in woods). With the top loading, it probably
was close to being an electrical 1/4 wave on 160. It was a fine radiator.
Brought my country total up to about 83 on Top, back when that was a big
number, before moving to Delaware in '81.

On 80m, this tower works out to be about 1/2 wave electrical length. So it
must have had great low-angle radiation. It was a super antenna for working
the long haul -- VK, ZL, and JA.  But for working Europe, it was terrible.
I'd call and call and call -- and they just couldn't hear me. Finally went
back to using a dipole at 50 feet in the trees to finish up 80m DXCC.

73/Jon AA1K