TopBand: JPS/ANC4 Antenna Noise Canceller

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: JPS/ANC4 Antenna Noise Canceller
From: dennisgp@mut1.muscanet.com (dennis g. peterson)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 17:42:35 -0600
Hi Gang;  I am curious to find out if anyone else has had any problems with
the ANC-4 JPS unit.  I bought my unit early this spring and it has been back
to the factory 3 times so far and is headed for it's 4th trip.  It seems to
spend more time in the shop at Raleigh, NC than it does connected to my
equipment in the shack.  So far it's been the same problem each time.
4Resistors and a relay problem.  The first time the 1/2 watt resistors were
replaced by 1 watters and again the next time.  The unit works fine for
about a week or so and then does the same thing each time before it quits.
Upon opening the unit this time after it quit working, I found that R24 was
so loose that it could be move up and down in the PC Board mounting hole
wherre it is soldered on the foil side of the PC Board to the Lande sight.
It was also note that with this problem the tuning of the noise phase and
noise gain was very erratic to say the least.  It was also noted that the
external antenna connection that accepts the RCA plug wasn't making contact
with the center pin of the plug and therefore I was getting an erroneous and
intermittent signal on this antenna.  I straightened the connection up so
that it could make contact with the plug and at least now there is no more
intermittency, but the unit itself is useless as when it is turned on I have
no OUTPUT from the TSD870s and the SWR is crazy.  If I turn the JPS unit off
everything is fine.  Now bear in mind that the JPS unit isn't turned on
until after the antenna is tuned for minimum swr and then the JPS unit is
switched on.  The unit is capable of handling up to 200 watts RF but is not
capable of handling excessive SWR.  If anyone else has experienced this
problem, I'd really like to receive e-mail directed to me concerning the
same.  After spending $170.00 plus shipping and three trips back to JPS at
$20 a pop I have over $230 invested in a unit that spend more time on JPS's
bench than it does in my shack.  Fortunately, I'm still under the 1 year
warranty period but I wonder how many trips the unit will have to make to
JPS before I get a good one that works.  I have all brand new gear on the
shack and this is the only piece of equipment that is giving me problems.
Can anyone help.  de N7CKDennis/0

                        N7CKD's WORLD TOPBAND

                        FREQUENCY ALLOCATIONS

                                TABLES