TopBand: Beverages, not on ur property

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverages, not on ur property
From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 15:26:53 -0800
Mike Smith-VE9AA, Coreen Smith-Wynder Photo wrote:

> YOU ARE SO RIGHT!
> You forgot to mention, too, that if they get
> destroyed or at least fall down due to deer, moose,
> chainsaws or cross country skiiers, that they work
> better once you fish them out of the snow and
> reinstall them!
> Been there, done that, have the t-shirt!!!
> Have fun Bill, Neat anecdote.
> MIKE
> Michael & Coreen Smith (AA Antennas & Wynder Photography)
> 271 Smith Rd, Waterville,
> Sunbury Co.,NB, Canada
> E2V 3V6

Here, the deer do not wander this far into the subdivision--too many
dogs, I reckon, and too few escape routes. And we are demonstrably short
of moose and caribou abd cross-country skiers.

Treelimbs are the big nemesis here in the redwood canyon, and
occasionally the entire tree. Mudslides are good, too--they take down
trees on these sheer slopes. There is also the occasional vandal. I
cannot even estimate how many times since 1990 I have repaired my
Beverages, or even how many times I have repaired them in the dark, rain
and mud. The most recent was last week--tree branches had taken out one
end of each Beverage. On one, access was via a muddy trail 12 inches
wide cut into the cliff. I inched along in the dark, wearing a miner's
lamp and questioning my own sanity. When I got to the end, I discovered
I needed a screwdriver--and had not brought one. So I repeated the
entire exercise. Was it worth it? I worked the XZ two nights later.

Conclusion: Beverages in a forest are high-maintenance items. Owning
them may require a certain degree of foolhardiness.
--
Garry Shapiro, NI6T
Editor, The DXer