TopBand: VK6HD heard

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: VK6HD heard
From: mbazley@omen.net.au (Michael Bazley)
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 09:26:49 +0800
January 1st. Temperature today in excess of 42C and a minimum of 28C is
forecast overnight. When this sort of wx is around there is usually a good
opening to Eastern USA, at sunset, and poor condx at sunrise. Qrn level is
high due to a cyclone up North of the State.
1130/1230z...7 VE and USA wkd six of which were on the East coast. Heard
lots of USA clg/wkg JA. Gave up at 1230z as my old ears could no longer cope
with the static crashes. 2045/2125z Band dead...at 2050z heard TO0R give a
CQ, still only 549 here....FR5DX is always 599 at this time of day so guess
there must be a mountain in the way. Heard TO0R go back to several EU's
without making a Qso. Went on 1832, which was quiet, and called CQ... there
were a lot of weak stations on the freq when I went over. TO0R had changed
his rx freq to 5 up! Heard K1ZM in there, hope you got him Jeff. 73 es dx de
"hot" Mike VK6HD