TopBand: Propagation to Heard

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Propagation to Heard
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 23:24:08 -0500 (EST)
        I'm passing this along for anyone else in the Southeast US
that might be stalking Heard on 80/160.  Today they were always
coming in on 80 via the direct path to the Southeast until I
worked them at 2245.  Then I went to 160 and they NEVER came in
direct.  There was QSB on the signal and it was coming in here
via both 30 and 70 degrees with rapid fluctuations between the
two.  I put up a low dipole today in case they were coming via
high angle but that was never the case today.  Thank goodness the
Europeans were well-mannered today because there would have been
no way to copy them with the Beverages toward Europe if we had
experienced the same QRM as yesterday.  Thanks for giving us a
chance during our brief window guys!

                                        73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  I wonder what they did to improve signals so dramatically on
80 and 160...was it just propagation or did they change antennas?
(John ON4UN please fill us in!)