TopBand: HEARD better on xmit antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: HEARD better on xmit antenna
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 23:32:47 -0500 (EST)
N0JK wrote:

>Would "antipodal focusing" possibly explain
>why NA ops have copied Heard better on their
>XMIT antennas? Most ops have directional receive
>but omni-directional xmit arrays and thus could
>receive VK0IR from several paths on the transmit
>antenna.

This is an excellent hypothesis by Jon!  The only
problem with it I see is that most of the guys who
are observing the "better on the transmit antenna"
phenomenon are about 1500 miles away from VK0IR's
antipode in mid-VE5.  I was only about 120 miles
from FT5ZB's antipode when I was in Colorado and there
was a very distinctive directivity to his signal which
was along his true Great Circle bearing (316 degrees
from Colorado which was exactly on my JA Beverage).
I guess I would conclude that this is not the cause
but still don't have a better explanation.

                                73,  Bill  W4ZV