TopBand: Yuri propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Yuri propagation
From: CQK8DO@aol.com (CQK8DO@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 18:33:17 -0500 (EST)

<< An earlier note to Topband by K8DO supporting Yuri's comments said that
 earth-bounces can't take place because "dirt is too lossy" or something to
 that effect.
 If "dirt" (or rock) is such an impossible reflector, maybe Denny or Yuri can
 explain to us how "mounbounce" signals get back to earth to be heard in
 moonbouncer's receivers.

 73, Glenn K6NA

Hmmm... I don't remember saying dirt does not reflect... Certainly, dirt
contains molecules whose outer electrons are capable of being pumped by RF,
therefore it _has_ to reflect, it just doesn't have to be efficient about
it... I was discussing the relative path losses of multiple earth reflections
versus chordal hopping and other forms of ducting/refraction on HF... the
magic term is "dominent mode".... Drop a note to K3BU, or W8JI, or KL7Y for a
copy of the off the reflector conversations going on... I don't keep copies
of my own writings....
Yes, moonbounce exists at 2M and 70CM... So, demonstrate moonbounce at 160
meters for me, hmmmm?...
we are discussing apples and oranges when we start comparing VHF energy,
which bounces off wet leaves, and Topband, which doesn't know that leaves
exist....let us stick to the topic, folks...

Denny