TopBand: Yuri propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Yuri propagation
From: w77kxb@juno.com (William Harris)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 18:56:10 EST
Hello Tom und Yuri:
     I have experienced ducting on 75 meters.  I was tunning the band,
about 1500 hrs local, (0800z). I came across a ssb station in qso with
his friends on the eastern seaboard.  Since he was the only stateside
station I could hear, I read the mail for a few minutes, until he signed.
 He was a W4.../KP4 Mobile, in down town San Juan, Puerto Rico. I suspect
he was near the harbor.  My location was 30 miles east of the islands of
Mindanao and Ceyte, enroute from Singapore to Midway Island.  I was using
a TR-3 into a inverted L antenna. (the emergency antenna).  Now I would
say that was a good haul for a mobile on 3970 kcs.  It was 0200 local PR
time.  Not sure which way the transmission propagate.  I was about N10
Lat. E130 Long.  Another thing that I remember , I could only hear one
shore station that was close to the US and that was Balboa, Canel Zone.
I sent my CW tfc through him to lessen the handeling charges for traffic
to the uSA.  I was in daily contact with him all the way from Bombay to
Singapore.  Didn't hear any of the Coast stations in the uSA.  I would
say that there is some ducting, east/west along the equator.
     Next big ducting event, was when I was approaching Cairo, Egypt  a
DC-7.  We were at 18,000 feet and descending and just made a frequency
change as directed by Cairo air traffic control. Frequency near 120 Mhz.
Upon the frequency change, Cairo center was being ORM'ed by a TWA flight
calling Cleveland center.  Yeah, your right, I called the TWA flight and
we exchanged our locations.  He didn't QSL.

     That's my big experience on ducting.

72's and Good Luck in the Contest.

Bill Harris
W7KXB