TopBand: 2-wire beverages (part 2)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 2-wire beverages (part 2)
From: leewells@lexmark.com (Lee Wells)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:24:51 -0500 (EST)
KM1H wrote:

> Lee, it sounds as if ur beverage is a bit too short for 160M and is
> favoring the higher angles. Possibly a transformer problem too but if you
> followed a standard design not too likely.
> You dont mention ur QTH but from here in NH one wavelength appears to be
> the absolute minimum for good EU performance. Two waves would be about
> ideal for the real long haul into Zone 18, etc.

The QTH here is Georgetown, KY.  About 15 miles north of Lexington.
As far as the ground goes, it seems you hit limestone anytime you dig over
a few feet around here.  I know I hit some sort of rock while I was driving
in the ground rods.  I was able to drive 3 feet into the ground before they
stopped moving.

Unfortunately I don't have the space to extend the beverage any further.  Ran
out of lawn space.

So how do these slinky beverages work?  Just strap a few slinkys together in
place
of the normal beverage wire?  I've heard them mentioned, but never saw the
details.

        --Lee, KT4ZX