TopBand: SURVEY RESULTS CQ 160 SSB/Windows,etc.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: SURVEY RESULTS CQ 160 SSB/Windows,etc.
From: wt8n@fuse.net (Daniel Flaig,K8RF)
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 08:15:26 -0800
Gentlemen,

Here are the results of comments sent to me regarding the CQ 160 SSB

contest and DX window issues:

#1)    STATIONS WANTING DX WINDOW ENFORCED:   63%  (36 of 59)

AA4NU,W8EH,K7ZO,K2EK,K2WI,W4TO,VE7FPT,W4FX,K3MM,AJ2U,W7GG,WA4ZXA,K2KIR,K3BU,NW6N,W8AV,N5IA,N6TR,K9JF/7,AA1K,W4MZ,K8LR,N0JK,K4JEX,N9ITX/7,K8RF,K8MFO,VE9AA,W4NL,K4IQ,N1RJ,W4JVN,NI6T,K5TH,AA9DX,W4DC,N7EX

#2)    FOR ENLARGING DX WINDOW: 41%  (24 of 59)

VE7FPT,K2KIR,W8EH,K2EK,K3MM,AJ2U,WA4ZXA,N6TR,N9JF/7,AA1K,W4MZ,K8LR,N9ITX/7,N0JK,K4JEK,N5IA,K8RF,K5TH,VE9AA,N7EX,W8AV,K8MFO,K4IQ,N4OO

#3)    FOR NO W/VE TRANSMITTING BELOW 1840 KHZ DURING CONTEST:  25%  (15
of 59)

W8EH,AA1K,K2EK,VE7FPT,W4MZ,K8LR,N9ITX/7,N0JK,K4JEK,N5IA,K8RF,K8MFO,N4OO,K2KIR,K4IQ

#4)   SHORTEN CONTEST PERIOD:  12%   (7 of 59)

N5IA,W4TO,N4KG,W7GG,GJ3YHU,K6EID,N5KO

#5)    ELIMINATE CONTEST: 12%   (7 of 59)

KW9KW,W7LR,N4GN,DF3CB,G3PQA(OR CHANGE CONTEST),K2WI,N4XD

#6)    MOVE DATE TO OFF SEASON: 10%   (6 of 59)

AA1K,W4WH,K8MFO,G3PQA,GJ3YHU,N4SU

#7)    LEAVE IT ALONE!:  10%   (6 of 59)

K5ZD,ND3F,W8MR,WA0ETC,W0CEM,N5JA

#8)    SWITCH CQ 160 SSB WITH WPX CW CONTEST:  9%   (5 of 59)

N0AX,N0IJ,N0JK,W8WEJ,KW9KW

#9)    ELIMINATE DX WINDOW: 1.7%   (1 of 59)

 W3UR

Mention was also made by K2KIR and KM1H about stations abusing the use
of two radios at a time.

As you can see there seems to be a large consensus that something needs
to be done about the DX window.

Some of the stations the responded complained about the contest but
didn't offer any suggestions or specific complaints,so they are not
listed.If you responded and you are listed incorrectly or are missing
please E-mail me and I will update.

I have received two E-mails from Dave Thompson K4JRB, CQ 160 Contest
Director (Dave:Sorry about mistyping your call before),he says he is
considering changing maximum hours that can be operated,and maybe change
the start time,also considering exchange change for DX stations.I
suggested to him that he change exchange for DX to CQ Zone and add that
as a multiplier,that might be fun!

The vast majority of stations felt something needed to be done to
enforce the DX window.

My personal feeling is that if no W/VE were allowed to transmit below
1840 it would VASTLY increase DX participation in the contest,and enable
"Left-Coasters" to bag some DX.It would also eliminate complaints about
the contest wiping out a full weekend of the prime DX season.It may be
easier to enforce no transmit below 1840 than trying to keep a small
window clear with splatter on both sides.

Notice the sparse DX response,and how all DX said contest should be
moved,shortened or eliminated.

I would suggest that you all send your comments to CQ,if you operated
the contest your input will probably have more weight so when you send
in your logs let your feelings be known!

I hope I've helped everyone out,I would dearly love to see more DX
activity in the 160
meter contests!
If you aren't listed,I'am sorry please E-mail me and I'll update,but the
most effective thing to do is write CQ and let em know what you think!

PS-I posted this message once and it didn't seem to go through,sri if
you get 2 posts.
This is a corrected version of earlier post.

73's gud DX, CU in the pile-ups,
Dan K8RF