TopBand: 160M Contests

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160M Contests
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 20:50:38 EST
Hey Scotty.....I never said u had to agree with me. And I sure dont get
angry when someone does.

I hope that u read my other comments about Herr Administrator.  I picked
that up on the BoatAnchor reflector where it is even used by Herr
Administrator! Now if you want to see a classy reflector you should check
that one out. About 900 paying....yes $12 a year....subscribers. But you
get a dual Pentium server and all sorts of enhancements for the money.
They also have an administrator with a knack for keeping the peace while
not stifling discussion.  Maybe we can clone him!

There are actually 2 SS type SSB contests, not one. They both cause a
major disruption for those 2 weekends and IMO drive off much of the rare
DX . I wonder how many of the SS style contest ops worked JX, JW, JY,
ZS8, 9X, P29, H44, FR, OH0, J28, UN, UK ,and others this season? Very few
I bet but these are all active stations that are still in great demand by
the 160M DXer. Some of those stations are only copyable/workable in the
US/VE (East Coast) a few days a week or less; some much less. That is
what I mean by fragile.  Three evenings and two mornings per contest (on
the East Coast) really raise the odds of working those stations.

CW contests are less disruptive and many of those rare ones try to
participate. The major all band contests (either mode) are not a real
problem and both modes can often co-exist. This past weekend was a good
example of that; I counted at least 7 multipliers active on CW that did
not show on the Packet Cluster spot summary.

Note....I did not SUGGEST eliminating ALL 160 contests, I just threw it
on the table for discussion....something that one person wishes to
stifle...unless he agrees with it.

Take off the fire suit....u aint gonna get no flames from me. I may be a
bit too short and to the point in my posts;  and testy at times but that
is just my nature. Too late to change....as long as my wife and kids love
me!

73.....Carl   KM1H