TopBand: European Openings from Boring, Oregon

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: European Openings from Boring, Oregon
From: tree@lady.axian.com (Larry Tyree)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 07:06:45 -0800 (PST)
The feeding frenzy of Europeans by the west coast seems to be
continuing.  Some great signals last night - most notably DF2PY
and IK2DED.  DED had a large pile of west coast stations calling,
but wasn't hearing as well as he was getting out.  DJ6RX was also
coming in well.

Static crashes have been bad locally, so there hasn't been much chance
to work the weaker ones.

March has now passed January for the most "European shopping days".  Here
is the profile of the season (month - # nights Europe worked):

Oct 4  Nov 5  Dec 8  Jan 9  Feb 7  Mar 10.  It might be interesting to
combine logs with some of the other locals and come up with a complete
profile, and then try to find something in nature to match up to it.  So
far, the K index isn't looking like the best metric!

I guess I gave up on the band too early last year - or conditions were
not as good.  My last European QSO was EA3VY on January 20th, 1996.

The band was in great shape this morning (nice data signals from ZL and
fishing net beacons and a JA or two), but there wasn't else anything on the
band from 13:45 to 14:30.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com