TopBand: New antenna on loaded tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: New antenna on loaded tower
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 20:03:33 EDT
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               617/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:40:48 -0700 (PDT) Larry Tyree <n6tr@teleport.com>
writes:

>I have heard of at least one case where doing this destroyed the
>magic on topband.  I believe my antenna has lots of "magic" currently,

While KM1H and some other guys have told me that matching a loaded tower
is easy, and requires only "iterations" until you get it right, W1JZ has
always taken the position that you should leave the tower bare, except
for a single yagi on top.  Finding the exact right feedpoint is, in my
experience, a problem -- and I'm not sure I've found it yet.  The heart
of the problem is that it remains black magic.  No one has ever written
up a series of steps which, if followed, will ALWAYS result in a good
match and an efficient antenna.  If someone has written up such a
step-by-step procedure for loading a tower, I've never seen it -- BUT I'D
LOVE TO SEE IT! -- Fred K1VR