TopBand: New antenna on loaded tower

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: New antenna on loaded tower
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:37:25 EDT
From:
Fred Hopengarten  K1VR               617/259-0088
Six Willarch Road
Lincoln, MA 01773-5105
permanent e-mail address:  fhopengarten@mba1972.hbs.edu

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:11:10 EDT k4pi@juno.com writes:

>"HAM RADIO" MAY 1975 W4OQ "SHUNT FED VERTICAL ANTENNAS".

Mike:  I have the article.  My problem is that I have a ton of stuff on
my tower, up and down.  Like:  TH6/TH6/TH7 at 97'/61'/31' (61' on
homemade rotatable sidemount). Plus 40-2CD at 90' on RingRotor. Plus 160
inverted v dipole at 88'.I think my electrical height is over 5/8, and
may be 3/4 wavel;ength, for all I know.  The problem is that the W4OQ
article doesn't help you calculate elec wavelength for an antenna mounted
in the middle or along the way.  It also does not answer the question:
Do I move my gamma rod out or in, up or down, once I've started.  I
already use an omega match, and 68 radials, but I'm convinced that I
haven't hit the "sweet spot" yet, and nothing I've ever read tells me how
to find that sweet spot.

        Thanks for the tip, though. I remain hopeful.

                                Fred K1VR