TopBand: Elevation Angle of Maximum Radiation from Verticals

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Elevation Angle of Maximum Radiation from Verticals
From: eldridge@whistler.net (Bob Eldridge)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 06:46:32 -0700 (PDT)
>still plenty of signal in that lobe at higher angles, down only 3 >dB at 40
degrees.

I think that last comment is VERY relevant. I would go out on a limb and say
that I think that with monopoles the upper part of the lobe does most of the
work on 160, and that the antennas that John terms 'cloudburners' often have
the lower part of their lobe in the same useful range.

I am surprised by the analysis that adding radials at the antenna has such a
major effect on the angle of radiation. This would seem to mean that if you
sit in the middle of a 250 ft diameter salt water pond, it does not matter
what the ground conductivity is several wavelengths from the antenna.

73 de VE7BS