TopBand: 160m shunt feeds

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 160m shunt feeds
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:10:05 EDT
On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 20:05:33 +0100 Jay E Ostrem <wc7m@vcn.com> writes:
>Hi Carl,  In reference to your wire 1/4 wave vert hanging off the 160
>foot
>tower, and using elevated radials.
>
>1.  Do you feel the antenna is coupling into the tower and possibly
>causing
>any loss in radiation?

Not that I can notice Jay...which does not preclude the possibility. Even
as a single antenna the performance over the Inv V was substantial.

>2.  Did you have to use a matching network to get the SWR down?

I have done absolutely nothing for "tuning". The phasing lines are 75 Ohm
CATV RG-11 type and can be duplicated with Belden 8213 or similar.  The
feed back to the shack is 250' of .75" Hardline so there is no magic
feedline loss matching.

I have both  50 Ohm and 75 Ohm Bird 43 type meters here and the VSWR
curve is pretty darn identical with either meter;  the only difference is
a slight shift in the 1:1 point. The 2:1 Bandwidth is roughly 120KHz  in
any position ...NE, SW or Broadside. It is fun to be able to spin the
xcvr dial and not have to worry about retuning.

The Inv Vee is still there and does not appear to affect the verticals
and vice versa.

73...Carl   KM1H

>                            73
>
>                           Jay W7CW in Gillette, Wyoming