TopBand: Top-Band(ung) Report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Top-Band(ung) Report
From: dl8wpx@indo.net.id (Joerg Puchstein, YB1AQS)
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 06:20:09 -0000
Dear fellow top-banders,

finally my elevated vertical with one folded elevated
radial (bent around my city lot) seems to function.
Thanks to Tom W8JI, Carl KM1H and Bob W7LR for
there helping comments regarding the RF choke needed
t the feedpoint. Now a coil of RG-8 is doing the job.
Beside this I found some RF flowing away into a tree,
where the elevated radial was running thru in close
proximity. Fixing this the feedpoint resistance has dropped
another 10 Ohms. Nevertheless it needs some further work,
the resistance is still 11 Ohms higher than calculated
(26 instead of possible 15 according to NEC-2 with 10 Ohms
real radiation resistance). Still room for 2dB more signal
strength.

The result sofar - finally after six years here in YB
I was able to log my first ever Westcoast contact - thanks
to the outstanding signal of Bob N7UA last night at 12:58Z.
Also heard Gary NI6T in QSO with Steve VK6VZ later on.

Despite the good opening into NA, the conditions to Europe
are nil in the moment. Except UN5J and Press VQ9SS in the
evening (and of course Jo, YC1LOW in Jakarta) no signal
was readable coming in from West. At sunrise (22:51Z) the band
seems to be 'dead'.

Will be there now more frequently and in parallel do some more
antenna work to get the receiving capabilities in shape.
eceiving with a vertical from inside a 3.5 million city like
Bandung is by far not the optimum.

The season has started ....

73, Joerg YB1AQS