TopBand: 5/8 ~ vs. 1/2 ~ spacing

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 5/8 ~ vs. 1/2 ~ spacing
From: km3g@cts.com (Lane C. Zeitler)
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:06:59 -0700
Gentlemen,
Looks like the 5/8 wave spacing provides almost an entire dB greater main
lobe gain over the half wave spacing for two verticals fed with zero degree
phase shift. Side lobes start coming into the picture using .625 ~ spacing
however. BUT, the main "figure eight" gain over a single vertical element
is almost 5 dB whereas compared to the .5 ~ spacing it is about 4.0 dB.

This doesn't take up that much more real estate. Five dB using only two
verticals AND a bi-directional pattern is pretty good. I wish this array
was going to be used on my property instead of my friend's.

I am trying to find the half-power beam width for .5 and .625 spaced
arrays.

Comments welcome.

Lane
Kilo Mexico Three Germany