TopBand: 5/8 ~ vs. 1/2 ~ spacing

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 5/8 ~ vs. 1/2 ~ spacing
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 14:24:12 EDT
On Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:06:59 -0700 "Lane C. Zeitler" <km3g@cts.com>
writes:
>Gentlemen,
>Looks like the 5/8 wave spacing provides almost an entire dB greater
>main
>lobe gain over the half wave spacing for two verticals fed with zero
>degree
>phase shift.

I cant comment on 5/8 wave spacing but back in the 80's at another QTH I
had a pair of 1/4 wave cage verticals spaced 1/4 wave for 80M.
Using relays, coax and a pair of LC networks,  I used the same antennas
as 1/2 waves spaced 1/2 wave on 40M and was able to switch the figure 8
pattern broadside or endfire. The performance was excellent IMO and
pileup busting with just 600W was easy.
The downside was QRM from the rear lobe but Beverages soon fixed that.

I also noticed that the 60 or so radials made a noticable improvement on
the 1/2 wave radiators altho mythical folk lore claims radials are not
required.

73   Carl   KM1H

SNIP
 -