TopBand: W2EQS and CQ 160WW

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: W2EQS and CQ 160WW
From: spa@tri.net (SPA)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 14:32:48 -0600
The posts regarding Charlie bring to memory a similar note I received
from him about losing the contest coordinator job.

He and W1BB did much to keep 160 going in the time when the ARRL contest
was a  US oriented contest and we had the split bands to contend with
(actually an advantage for those in the zero call area).  And when it
was possible to rank in the contests with 200 contacts from Kansas and
not work another Kansas station for a multiplier.  Charlie usually sent
a personal note along with the certificate!

I asked  one of the CQ staff at some hamfest about Charlie after he lost
the job.  There was some brief and kind discussion of his poor health
and I left satisfied that the correct, if difficult decision had been
made by the CQ staff.

It has been discussed here before, but I have quite a pile of W1BB's
mailings, all mimeographed in red and blue, a SWL card he sent me upon
reception of my signal on a cruise somewhere off the Azores, and
memories of him firing up his spark rig for me when I visited him late
life.  Too bad those two pioneers aren't around to see what a lot of
hand work turned into with the birth of the Internet.

N0UU
stoskopf@tri.net