TopBand: Beverage baluns/transformers de W0AH

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Beverage baluns/transformers de W0AH
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 17:56:56 EST
On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 13:50:23 -0600 philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
writes:
>At 02:06 PM 11/6/97 EST, you wrote:

>Are you saying Amidon does not OFFER these mixes? What gave you the
>idea that
>I said they MADE anything?
>
>>An important and missed point:
>>
>>All of those above frequencies are ONLY for reasonant circuits. For
>>wideband use in baluns, etc. the frequencies are VERY different.
>>For instance Ferrite Mix 43 is now 1-50MHz and 61 Mix is now
>2-100MHz. It
>>pays to read all the specs. Also note that any of those specs are not
>>absolutes; they are suggested for optimum performance but are not
>cast in
>>concrete.
>
>I only used the examples to stress a point that all cores are not
>equal.
>I would certainly not use Mix 61 for a 160 meter transformer, nor
>would
>I use Mix 43 for 6 meters.

To each his own.
Some of the best Beverage xfmrs use a 61 mix. A few extra turns is no big
deal and the mix is more tolerant to temperature and high RF fields. It
also permits a low loss xfmr for the higher frequencies since many of us
do use Beverages up thru 10M at times of high percipitation static.

 (too close to the spec edge...why push it?
>You
>can never go wrong on a "single band" transformer core selected from
>the
>data I posted. Better to err on the conservative side.

I beg to disagree...never is an absolute. I would prefer to err on the
conservative also, but only when the data supports it.

>>Another thing....Amidon produces nothing...Nada. They are strictly
>one of
>>many distributors. The powdered iron mentioned above is manufactured
>by
>>Micrometals Corp.  The ferrites mentioned are manufactured by FaiRite
>>Corp. Other players are TDK, Allen Bradley, Seimens, Philips,
>Ferroxcube
>>and probably more.
>
>What ever gave you the idea that I suggested Amidon produces anything?
>Why are we so touchy about all amateur radio related products and
>manufacturers except RADIOKIT? You have definitely made the finals for
>"Trasher of The Year" for sure!

For your enlightenment Phil,  Radiokit has not sold anything for about 3
years so PLEASE keep your  personal attacks to yourself.  Your reply is
insulting, unwarranted and shows no class whatsoever.
My reply was strictly of a technical nature since the recent discussions
have been around "broadband" Beverage and similar applications. If YOU
cannot stand a bit of non personal followup to your post I suggest that
YOU have the problem sir.

As far as any critical product comments I make they are based upon
firsthand experience. I have no financial interest in any of them but I
reserve the right to try and help others from making bad choices based
upon advertising hype and other mis-information . I also do not expect
full agreement with anything I say; this is a forum to openly discuss the
issues in a proper manner.

Whatever your problem is with my old business, take it off line please.

 This is my only comment on the subject so Mr Administrator please excuse
the few kilobytes and I trust that ALL personal attacks will be treated
with equal fervor.

73  Carl  KM1H