FW: TopBand: Beverage baluns/transformers de W0AH

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: TopBand: Beverage baluns/transformers de W0AH
From: Robert.Doherty@fmr.com (Doherty, Robert)
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 15:07:00 -0500
Here we go again !!!!   Most New Englanders we know are flinty and are
nit pickers.... but we look upon those as a lovable character
traits....!!!!   Hi
73   Whitey K1VV
 ----------
To: <topband@contesting.com>
>Date: Thursday, November 06, 1997 2:50PM

>At 02:06 PM 11/6/97 EST, you wrote:
>
>On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:22:58 -0600 philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
>writes:

SNIP

>>Amidon offers nine mixes for powdered iron:

Are you saying Amidon does not OFFER these mixes? What gave you the idea
that
I said they MADE anything?

>An important and missed point:
>
>All of those above frequencies are ONLY for reasonant circuits. For
>wideband use in baluns, etc. the frequencies are VERY different.
>For instance Ferrite Mix 43 is now 1-50MHz and 61 Mix is now 2-100MHz. It
>pays to read all the specs. Also note that any of those specs are not
>absolutes; they are suggested for optimum performance but are not cast in
>concrete.

I only used the examples to stress a point that all cores are not equal.
I would certainly not use Mix 61 for a 160 meter transformer, nor would
I use Mix 43 for 6 meters. (too close to the spec edge...why push it?
You
can never go wrong on a "single band" transformer core selected from the
data I posted. Better to err on the conservative side.

>Another thing....Amidon produces nothing...Nada. They are strictly one of
>many distributors. The powdered iron mentioned above is manufactured by
>Micrometals Corp.  The ferrites mentioned are manufactured by FaiRite
>Corp. Other players are TDK, Allen Bradley, Seimens, Philips, Ferroxcube
>and probably more.

What ever gave you the idea that I suggested Amidon produces anything?
Why are we so touchy about all amateur radio related products and
manufacturers except RADIOKIT? You have definitely made the finals for
"Trasher of The Year" for sure!

As for your sales pitch on New England, no thanks...I have purchased 57
acres in East Texas and am starting my antenna farm. You can have those
short summers and terrible winters.

If the Pilgrams had landed in California, New England would still be a
vast wasteland, or big National Park.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC