TopBand: 9M0C and QRN

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: 9M0C and QRN
From: n7ng@m4.sprynet.com (n7ng@m4.sprynet.com)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:32:59 -0800 (PST)
When we were at 9M0S in 1993, we noticed that some noise was being
generated on the island.  We were never able to find the source, but it did
cause some problems with our ability to hear.  I sent a message to Don,
N1DG suggesting that a good loop might be able to minimize any such
descrete source of interference (if it is not atmospheric QRN).

I believe they creating a receiving problem, however.  One local topbander
indicated that (at least) this morning 9M0C listened only on 1831.
Everyone was calling on 1831.  Granted, if there is no propagation, it
doesn't matter where they listen.  But I suggest that if they are hearing
noise on the listening frequency, some of that noise is caused by those big
signals calling them.  I learned this the hard way at XF4.  A pileup of
Europeans on one frequency on the low bands sounds like NOISE!  Most likely
a pileup of W6s (maybe even W7s) doesn't sound much different, just NOISE.
 It's amazing how individual signals become louder when they are by
themselves on a clear(er) frequency.  The 9M0C operators should be
spreading out the callers even if they can't hear many of them.  I think
they will be surprised at the difference.

Wayne, N7NG