TopBand: Latest from 9M0C

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Latest from 9M0C
From: btippett@CTC.Net (Bill Tippett)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 06:05:05 -0500 (EST)
160 Metres

Tuesday 17th we have built a 12ft Magnetic loop but ran out of time to
resonate it before sunset - hope to try it Wednesday 18th.

I have been constantly experimenting with receive techniques to overcome the
permanent S9 plus 10Db noise level - now I'm able to dig down through the
the static to signals at the S6 to S7 level by the use of a Timewave
DSP599ZX audio digital filter set at 80Hz B/W and sweeping the centre
frequency as an audio peak filter. The FT1000mp is set with 10 Db RF Att.
with the the RF gain
wound back till signals are just audible.

This technique combined with the low 160 dipole netted over 50 EU QSOs
Tuesday evening (Towards our sunrise). Several EU signals were way above the
rest and peaked over S9 at one time SP3DOI, HB9AFI, HB9BIN it was as if
propagation just focused on them for a few minutes.

For EU we tune from 1826 to 1830 so please spread out.

We are not alone with the QRN problem YC0LOW came on around 2200z calling CQ
right in the middle of our huge EU pile up on 1828.5 for around 30 mins. We
assume he could not hear the EUs and needless to say he made no QSOs.

Don XTT says that he had a disapointing run at our sunset Tuesday evening
working only 6 West coast USA - well down on the 37 we worked the night
before. Against the adverse conditions we are doing everything we can think
of and despite the QRN have logged over 650 QSOs on 160 to date.

MIKE G3SED