TopBand: Test Signal source

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Test Signal source
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 11:02:31 +0000
To: <topband@contesting.com>
> Date:          Sat, 21 Mar 1998 08:52:00 -0500 (EST)
> From:          CQ K8DO <CQK8DO@aol.com>
> Subject:       Re: TopBand: Elevated Radials
> To:            topband@contesting.com

> I do not see the need for anything approaching a full size antenna at the
> generator end..

Right.

I use a modified MFJ-259 analyzer. I added a switch to disconnect
the power lead to the frequency counter (to reduce battery drain) and
rewired the frequency counter input jack's center pin to the large
strip line that feeds the diode bridge.

If I insert a simple telescoping whip in the BNC jack (or plug in a
short hunk of wire thrown over a tree branch, I can hear the thing a
1/4 mile away.

I put it in the direction of the desired null of the array, and
adjust the phasing network for zero signal.

If you need more signal use a taller antenna or a loading coil on
the 259. An low power  osc will work FB.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com