TopBand: Weak signal/noise reception

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Weak signal/noise reception
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 10:50:59 EDT
Just a small contribution to the art of noise fighting - weak signal
reception:
   During the last WPX SSB contest while on 160, I had two receivers (TS870
and IC781) going at the times into two ears and using two separate clusters of
antennas. The main purpose was to watch for Europeans and US calling me from
"both ends". I had few occasions when I would hear weak station calling me
while listening with two radios, then switched both ears to one or another
receiver alone and reception turned out to be worse than 2RX-2ears. I had hard
time copying with either RX alone. Using both I could read the signals better.
So I guess it must have been the "brain - ears receiver" that did the
discrimination against the noise coming from two antennas.
   I wanted to explore the K6STI soundblaster DSP software and adapt it with
two receivers. Has anyone played with it and any comments?
   BTW TS870 after the front end mod, RX antenna switching and installation of
2nd IF SSB IR filter can now be deemed decent contest radio. Even DSP seems to
work better, love the features. BEAT CANCEL took out "friend" who kept putting
carrier on my frequency for about 3 hrs. May the FCC find him with Adcock
Array!
73 Yuri Blanarovich, K3BU, VE3BMV