TopBand: CW segment

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: CW segment
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:27:41 +0100
One of the difficulties is that the 160 allocation in a lot of Europe is
limited. In the UK for example, we have 400 watts allowed from 1810 to 1850
and 26 watts from 1850 to 2000. If the US has a mandatory CW segment of say
1800 to 1840, then the big phone contests will end up with either the CW
segment being ignored, or real problems trying to get EU contacts with EU
SSB contesters, who run down to about 1820. Some EU countries have 1810 to
1835 or even less. Above 1850, there are still a number of EU coast
stations, so split working will have problems.

I tend to feel that the SSB problem in contests exists for CQ WW, CQ 160 SSB
and ARRL 160 - few enough weekends  that it isn't enough to worry about. But
maybe I'm too forgiving. For the SSB net in the US, I guess the answer is
for DX to QSX 1821 to 1823, and tx about 1828. That should larn 'em!

73

Peter G3RZP