TopBand: VK6VZ - South Pacific DX Contest report

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: VK6VZ - South Pacific DX Contest report
From: sire@omen.com.au (Steve Ireland)
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 16:19:46 +0800
Got started about 20 minutes after sunset here, after a few hiccups.
Conditions initially seemed quite poor, with ZL signals down by about 10dB
from their usual levels and even VK2 and VK3 signals low in strength.

At about 1000Z I started to copy Tom W8JI at about 559, who quickly climbed
to 569 and stayed there for the next 45 minutes.  Just after his sunset, I
finally got through and made the QSO, following in the wake of three ZL
stations and a couple of VK3s.

Also audible at this time was N6R0, who had a 54/559 signal, but I could not
raise him.

About this time, it started to rain, giving me bursts of rain static to S4,
resulting in the missing out of a couple of ZL QSOs that I just couldn't
pull through the noise.

A few more VK QSOs followed until Bob VE7BS called at around 1150, quickly
followed by Stan W7AWA.  At 1214, Bob N7UA appeared with a FB 589 signal,
peaking 599 shortly afterward, and made it into the log.  In the evening
session, VK5KE was the last station worked, although N6RO appeared again
with a FB RST569 signal towards his sunrise, but still no luck.  No other US
stations were heard at this QTH, although AA0RS was reported as active at
VK3 sunrise.

VKs active during this period included VK2KM, VK2AYD, VK3IO, VK3DQW, VK3DID,
VK3APN, VK3EW, VK4ICU, VK5XE, VK5CRS and VK6IP, with ZLs heard including
ZL2JR, ZL2SQ, ZL2REX and ZL2AS.  Special mention should be made of VK5CRS,
who was operating from a former coastal radio station and using a 150'
vertical antenna with 120 half wave radials for Tx, plus a rhombic and a
Beverage for Rx.  VK5CRS was only active on SSB, but made several North
American QSOs.

After QRTing just after the sun had risen over the US west coast, I was back
next morning a couple of hours before VK6 sunrise.  After a nice QSO with Jo
YC0LOW, DK1NO was heard, calling CQ at 2143Z.  Although I could not make a
QSO with him, my calls were heard by LA3XI and SM6CTQ, who obliged with QSOs.

Ken SM6CTQ told me TL5A was going to be on 1833 in a few minutes, but an
extended listen produced nothing and the European signals seemed to disappear.

In summary, an interesting contest, but with fairly average to poor
conditions.  Usually at this time of year, good signals are received from
UA0 during the VK6 evening, but nothing was heard from the north at all at
this QTH.  Only a few signals were audible from North America, despite
indications that there was reasonable activity from across the Pacific

Many thanks from the VKs and ZLs to all those who took part from outside the
South Pacific area.  Let's hope for better conditions next year.

Vy 73,

Steve, VK6VZ