TopBand: Propagation and GPS markers

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Propagation and GPS markers
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (w8ji.tom)
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 10:02:00 -0400
Same thing I notice Stan. You wrote:

> BTW I notice that the improved performance with horizontal antennas at
and after sunrise to VK is more noticeable here on days when signals are
quite good on both vertical and horizontal antennas at sunrise..When
signals are poor or the path is longer (VK6, FT5, UN5, etc)  the vertical
seems to work best.

It is very clear, when going back in a log of nearly 100 reports, that on
average or poor nights the vertical is ALWAYS better (sometimes by a
substantial amount). On good days, it is often a toss-up. On exceptional
days the horizontal will win, but not every time and often not by very
much.

Now for a more interesting topic:

Over the summer there has been a large increase in the number of digital
markers on 160. This morning (poor conditions) I recorded them on the
following frequencies:

1801, 1802, 1810, 1817,1819, 1821, 1828, 1838, 1842, 1952, 1955.

Why are so many of these things on the low end? And why are there more and
more each month? This stuff is going to make a mess out of 160 unless we
can convince the countries installing them or the manufacturing selling
them to put them up out of the low end!

73 Tom