TopBand: TY8A

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: TY8A
From: csus04@lmpsil02.comm.mot.com (Raymond Dave-CSUS04)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 11:53:53 -0600

TY8A was making a valiant effort last night on 160 to make stateside
contacts.  I started listening to him on 1824 about 0420z.  He was pretty
weak here in central Iowa. . . . not truly copyable.  I'm not sure I would
have ever been able to successfully copy my own call or report.  A few times
when he peaked up, I threw in my call.  NR0X, in the eastern part of the
state, was copying better than I was.

He peaked here about 0500z, or about 45 minutes before his sunrise.  It was
disheartening to hear his signal fade as he got closer to sunrise.  From
about 0520z on I could not even tell he was there, although stations were
calling up 5.  By 0530z I believe he threw in the towel.

He sure deserves credit. . . he tried hard.  Did he ever make a stateside
QSO?

73. . . Dave
W0FLS