TopBand: Balloon Vert ...Need Help.

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Balloon Vert ...Need Help.
From: utahfolk@konnections.com (utahfolk@konnections.com)
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 18:39:55 -0800
We are planning on trying out a 1/4 wave vert on 160M this year.

Altitude is 6000 feet.  What kind of wire do we use (KW power)
and how do you tie the balloon to the wire/line ... do you hang
the wire below the balloon on monofilament line?  Do you tie the
wire to monofilament line???  Any and all input will be appreciated.
How big of a balloon do we need?  Edmond Scientific has 3, 8 and 16
foot dia jobs.  Would the 8 foot be best ... and inflate until the wire
is up?  What kind of mechanism do you use to undo the balloon neck
for a refill ... short of tying a knot which seems to be the last
thing one would do?  How long does it take for Helieum (sp?) to leak
out and the balloon starts sinking ... we need all the advise and
help you would care to give us ... thanks very much in advance ...
.... de KD7AEE Crew / Ogden UTAH