TopBand: Stew Perry Contest

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: TopBand: Stew Perry Contest
From: k0ha@navix.net (Bill Hohnstein KØHA)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 22:23:16 -0800
With the recent conditions and geomagnetic activity I was expecting
the worst--fortunately there wasn't a complete absence of DX.  But,
nothing like last year...
I followed a basic rule for stateside CQing:  If my rate falls below
a QSO/minute, it's time to listen or do something else.  That practice
resulted in 152 QSO's.
My DX QSO's were:

2333  WP2/WB9Z
0050  VP2MHJ
0400? Saw DJ7AA spots, no copy
0403  KH7R
0425  RW2F  Weak hollow audio tone, later he was strong & clear
0513  G3SED  "      "     "     "     "    "  "     "       "
0544  F6CWA
0556  DJ8QP
0609  IT9ZGY  The band opens in good shape--avg EU sig copied was 56/79
0611  OK1DX
0612  G0IVZ
0617  S57M
0621  TK/DL7HZ
0634  IV3PRK
0638  OK1DQT
0641  DL1YD
0645  F5IN
0648  FO0EEN  569--disappeared after our QSO, but reported back later
0700? Called EA6ACC several times but he wasn't coming bk to anyone then
1300  Quick listen for JA's--none heard--went back to sleep

Particularly the early European signals were not arriving via the
normal short path.

Rig:  TS-870/Ten-Tec Titan Amp/4 Element Parasitic Vertical Array/
      8 Beverage Antennas (including parallel phased Beverages for
      40º and 268º)

73,  Bill     K0HA

¤