Topband: 160 TX Antenna

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 TX Antenna
From: n0av@netins.net (Jim Harvey)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:14:52 -0500
I have had considerable success on 160 in recent years using an inverted vee
with the apex at about 100' but am now thinking of trying an inverted L or
top loaded vertical of some kind. I have a 100' rotating tower with stacked
tribanders and a 70 ft tower 120' to the west of this. I would like to run a
rope between the two and support the vert/inverted L this way, keeping the
antenna fairly close to the 100' tower to utilize the extra height. I would
like to keep the feedpoint 10' off the ground or so and use several elevated
radials to start with. I figure the vertical section will be roughly 70-75'
long. Would I be better off using a sloping top-hat approach or just with
the regular inverted L configuration? Is this project worth undertaking or
should I leave well enough alone?? I do not have a large amount of real
estate to work with. The lot is almost 300' long but only 70' wide. Any
recommendations or ideas would be appreciated.

Jim  N0AV