Topband: Update from KH2

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Update from KH2
From: K4SXT@rocketmail.com (Julius Gostel)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 14:45:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi Gang,

There have been a lot of questions recently about my
operating schedule, frequency, duration of my posting
to Guam etc.  So here is an update:  Basically, I am
on every day - usually snap on the rig about 0830z and
tune across the band on the off chance that someone
might be there.  There is never anyone there but I am
forever optimistic.  I usually sit down for serious
DXing about 0930z and stay there until about 1100z.  I
know that sunrise is later, but 1100z is 2100 local
and I get up at 0500 local.  Fortunately I have a
beacon in W8JI and when he is strong, I stay and try
to connect with the East Coast/Mid West.  If Tom is
weak and nothing else is coming thru, I usually go to
bed.  I open up every morning at 1930z looking for EU
and Africa. My sunrise is about 2020z - the band is
closed by about 10 minutes after sunrise.  If the band
is open I hear Serge, RA3DOX.  This morning he was
579.

Rig update:  Still IC-756 (all cw filters), AL-1200, a
new ATR-30 (which can handle the AL-1200 full output
on 160 without even getting warm), and an Inverted L.
Last month I tried a Tee, but it was too reactive and
caused sparking across the plates of my Caps. I could
get a 2:1 UNUN and try again, but frankly, the L is
working, it favors the USA but my signal to EU is
acceptable. I didn't see a 3db advantage from the TEE
and that is what I give up to run it (power wise). The
ATR-30 may handle the Tee but I am too lazy, and get
too much teasing from my XYL who always asks me why I
have to change Antennas every month or so (like a
golfer buying a new club, I never quit trying to find
that magic antenna).  I have the radials running down
the hill behind my house - wonder what the effect of
all the radials running down at a steep 30 deg angle
has on my pattern?  Add to that the fact that they are
all in the 220-040 western hemisphere and I guess my
pattern is pretty lopsided.

Band Condx:  Have been terrible this season - except
for one or two days, no East Coast has been heard.  I
thought that things were changing right after the
Equinox, but that was short lived.  In CQWW ssb, I
worked only 4 stations here on 160, KL7RA, VK6HD,
RA0FF, and KH2/N2NL.  Didn't even hear any others.
Europe has started to come through fairly regularily
and I got an e-mail from John, G3PQA, that he heard me
559 two days ago. Condx seem to be floating upward
into the so-so range.  I think I am hearing OK - some
recent line noise has been a bother, but I don't have
any close stations so I can use my noise blanker.

I will be in Guam until September 2000.   I will be
Single Band 160 in CQWW unless I have to move to 80 as
I had to in the SSB.  BTW, I have staked out 1824khz
and operate there unless an Expedition decides to use
it - then I move.  So, if you hear a weak one on 1824
it may be me.  I work simplex unless I get a pile up
(rare - usually searchlight propagation), then I
listen up 1-2 khz.

Thats all for now,

73,

Gus  KH2/K4SXT